14 October, 2018

Pain, Memories, and Learnings

Loss and thought of loss can be as painful as loss experience itself. I want to remember as human's memory is such a fickle thing.

I like feeling I am growing around you.
I respect the way you look for feedback after presentations. Like when we are in F5 partners in Auckland and we presented the strategy for the new year.
I like the way our eyes meet when certain issues or appreciation come up in discussion unplannedly.
I like our mind is the same when I saw you raised issues and shrugged when I look over.
I feel appreciated when someone looked at me at the business class cabin on long flight.
I like the rides to see customers and music over rock playing on the car radio.
I am honored by the way you defended me when I did something silly at LT dinner in Hochiminh.
I am feeling protected when you scolded people with lower EQ over wardrobe dysfunction.
I am feeling sad when you are worried when I had allergic attack. And I felt silly and light-headed for wearing ninja facemask in front of your presentation to Japan LT.
I noticed the way you worry about my physical condition at Orlando LT dinner over jetlag.
I feel valued when you do not hesitate when I need to cut the trip short back to Singapore skipping Melbourne.
I appreciate being able to advice you to take better care of your self through more regular exercises.
I think the presentation at Business Central Bangkok resonated well and I told you when you finished presentation.
I admired that you feel my loneliness in India when I was not invited to team drinks at Gurgaon.
I feel the trip is more worthwhile when we have moments such as laughing racing through Changi terminal.
I am so touched when you looked me concernedly when I lost my laptop in Beijing flight.
Or when I lost my laptop in Malaysia after customer meeting in that Angry Bird room.
At the late night flight over from HK to Beijing you nudged apologetically over the call with Australia I feel touched.
Or when you gave me option to fly back when I was stuck in Narita for more than 24 hours after snowstorm, I feel relieved and supported.
Or when you encouraged me to be on video for China launch video recording when you were the star, I was secretly happy and embarrassed at the same time.
When we laugh about windshield googles in a car stuck in traffic in India.
I feel the need to ask and action when you prompted what I am saving for about my dream vacation in Hawaii and Botswana and Maldives.
You gave me opportunity to present at all Hands to elevate my presence.
Encouraged me to talk in front of partners meetings in Japan, Las Vegas, Taiwan.
When you shared that you feeling bad about being viewed older and I related to that as that's what I was feeling 10 years ago inside, and I want to assure you the focus is keeping yourself happy.
When you proudly showed your family especially the young one in his cuteness, I know as busy executive there are people who still keep family as important thing.
I appreciate the fun with colleagues like in Giraffe in Auckland amidst the soft light and late night calls.
I wanted to console when asking whether you are sure to skip the opportunity to meetup with your parents in Melbourne given the work schedule, oh what sacrifices.
Or at long and tiring day with partners, team, leadership, coaching experiences, from early morning to late night dinner with intense business discussions, parting at the lift to get a restful night.
When we planned for Bangkok offsite, the team was scattered and in beginning phase of healing and coming together again. At Ho Chi Minh, the team was coming together through rain-soaked adventure through LT huddle, Ho Chi Minh city, and Star Wars night.
I feel like a team when we won award together and I was speechless by people's recognition.
At Kuala Lumpur, team was expanded stronger, and we get together in team shirt and loud drumbeat. I am emboldened and humbled by our team's journey.
I feel so painful to hear your almost fatal experience at deepwater in Miami coast.
I hope you are able to stay true most of the time to your journey to wellness.
I appreciate also how hard you find it around people's discussion and part of me understood that very well and appreciate how relieved you are in some discussions when it turned out well for people.
I feel gratified that skeptic people are now starting to see lights of your brand of leadership in such a short time, and I am truly grateful to have been part of bringing that to reality.
I feel so proud when I meet people who were in events you presented and they told me how good you were.
And I have many more moments like this that my mind kept in.... perhaps.

Thank you for memories and for teaching me how to be more gracious and better personal leader.
I am sad as I so enjoyed working with you, boss, and I will miss times together create memorable moments like these, beyond the grind of tiring and demanding daily work. The last year has been one of my favorite year ever in my life and I want to feel positive that the best is yet to come (after I overcome my sense of bearing at this sense of true loss). We are both alive after all and expect will do very well in our respective career or life quest we set our mind to do, and for that is truly one gracious and meaningful fact of life's journey.

I have learnt to rely so much on your strength and that's because there are moments when I feel scared and not as strong as I appear to be, and those borrowed strength felt like a lifeline to me. I will do what I can to ensure I support you towards your next chapter of this career step that seems to make you happier and empowered and free. Including taking steps to take away the guilt of leaving the team behind and impact to the morale.

I wish you well. I wish you lots of blessings, joy, excitement to decorate your days. I wish you lots of strength, grace, and courage. Mostly I wish you happiness. Wish me the same.

Seeing experiences with fresh eyes

Given my propensity to seek new experiences, I wanted to start a new series of article that explores experiences that are new, new to me, or...