04 May, 2013

White Wood Oil or Minyak Kayu Putih

Since I am baby I always love the smell and fragrance of jamu Minyak Kayu Putih from Indonesia, or oil of White wood in its literal translation to English language or "Pek Cha Yiu" in Hokkien dialect. Last month, I received my shipment from Amazon for essential oil from US. I only ordered 2 types in tiny quantity as the essential oils cannot be shipped according to IATA (International Transport Authrority) as it is super inflammable. Lavender and Eucalyptus. Upon smelling the Eucalyptus, I was struck by its similarities to MKP.

So today, I am researching the differences between these oil type. According to this article from the Dept of Forestry in Indonesia, MKP comes from a variant of genus that includes Myrtle tree, and its export is governed by the strict law. While Eucalyptus originated from Australia, been used globally. Hmm since both trees are originated from very closeby location (the Austro-Indo group) and have very similar smell, I suspect more connection.

Here's pic of my favourite- the best brand of MKP - is Cap Ayam from Medan, North Sumatra! It's advertised by local online shops at 150ml for 38.000 Indo rupiah or around S$5.

 Memory of childhood: minyak kayu putih cap ayam, bikinan Pt Jamu Sari

More research to come.

Seeing experiences with fresh eyes

Given my propensity to seek new experiences, I wanted to start a new series of article that explores experiences that are new, new to me, or...