01 June, 2013

My cooking today

After a depressing but unsurprising news from my massage therapist, I decided to do my home-cooking hobby to ease tension in my body. I am hooked on recipes from this book from Amazon (shipped all the way from US!), I tried:

  • A variation of Rochers today - with cashew, almond, and Cointreau.
  • Honeycomb candy - honey, corn syrup, lots of sugar, gelatin, and baking soda
  • +coated with chocolate
  • Also did the dark-chocolate truffles (with some success).
Honeycomb-candy
Coated honey comb in the fridge










For ganache, I used chocolate from Cacao Barry - while I supplemented my chocolate coating with Callebaut. The Cacao Barry turned out to be oily as I managed to skim about half a cup of chocolate oil that bubbled up from my ganache. The box indicated 41.8% Fat.

Ps. I also cooked Carbonara for dinner with mom. :)

Ingredients:
Cacao Barry Venezuela 72% 1kg $23.50
Callebaut 250gr $7 for 70.4% / $6 for 56.5%
President 1L heavy (whipping) cream $8
Unsalted butter 1 stick $3.8
Caster sugar
Baking soda from Bake King 100gr $1.50
Light Corn Syrup 500ml $5.50
Gelatine powder $3.50
Cooking spray $9.50 (expires 2014)

I got most if not all my baking ingredient from Sun Lik Trading
33 Seah Street, Singapore 188389, just opposite the Raffles Hotel.



Seeing experiences with fresh eyes

Given my propensity to seek new experiences, I wanted to start a new series of article that explores experiences that are new, new to me, or...