09 June, 2013

Making BakChang and weekend

Today I woke up before 7am *yay* after a long while. During a short run towards marina bay, I could see very dark ominous clouds forming above Asia Square blowing towards the MBS. I tried to run, run to beat the clouds and wind, but i could feel the tiny drizzle catching up. Finally, towards the end of MBS, I made detour to the mall.... so there goes my morning run.

After 15 run in the tiny gentle drizzle, I reached home. I didn't want to wait and waste time, so I ran in the rain (felt so nice) and reached home by 8:18. After shower, I felt great as I haven't been for so long. After breakfast of mom's meat porridge (with little jewels which are the salted yolk, very fresh and nice) I helped mom to prepare the ingredients for her making of bak-chang (literal translation from Hokkien dialect, Bak = meat, chang = dumpling) by preparing the yolks and cleaning the dried bamboo leaves. I also marinated pork meat as pork chop for lunch with my collection of herbs.

After lunch, I wanted to make a good use of the heavy cream I bought last time (for $8 1L it's a good price, it's also too good to waste). So I whipped an 100-ml and have it with green tea ice cream Haagen Dazs.
It's lovely bitter green tea macha + sweet whipped cream . Product link

Here's more information about whipped cream:

Some links about how to whip heavy cream: http://www.thekitchn.com/basic-technique-how-to-make-wh-102056

Useful tips:

  • The utensils should be ice-cold for better (and faster result). This includes the bowl and the whisk.
  • The fat content of the cream should be 35% and above. The President's Heavy (whipping) cream has 38% fat content. Sinful. Photo in prev blogpost.
  • Add sugars and extracts before you start beating it. I used very little sugar. Some articles I saw recommend also vanilla extract, or citrus flavor. 
  • To keep the whipping cream for staying up, you should add a stabilizing agents. Now is the time to add it (before you start whipping). The article recommend unflavored gelatin mixed with warm water and wait until the mix cools down (see above, cold means successful whipping).
  • Be patient, it took me about 10 mins of continous beating to get the peaks to form. Initially it takes a while for the liquid cream to turn into soft peaks. Then it'll form really fast.
  • Don't overbeat it. 
Speaking about green tea, or macha in Japanese, I enjoyed this video on YouTube that talks about preparation. I'm going to try it next time.

Seeing experiences with fresh eyes

Given my propensity to seek new experiences, I wanted to start a new series of article that explores experiences that are new, new to me, or...