16 December, 2018

My exercise journey

I have never been a fit child when I was young. When I thought of dismissing the idea of me liking physical education, I fall back to stereotype that any "smart" kid will likely have weakness and weakness is often a weak fragile body. Well, I am only an average person. which means if I want be fit and strong I need to train.

In my twenties, I discovered yoga, yoga and pilates and started joining the courses of yoga and improved my posture. I discovered I could train my body and withstand the poses from yoga, starting from gentle yoga, progressing to hatha, and asthanga. It is generally easier to go to class regularly, although I have proven that you can cycle through classes and you don't have to stick to a practice. That might have taken a longer route with my method, but I found something that work for me. I found that building classes progressively, you have to work it out for every class. That means stretch and find that pain in the poses, and rest throughout the week. Your body will indeed respond and become progressively limber and fitter.

Yoga works to improve flexibility, which means you will often improve your range of movement as your yoga practice progress. I also found pilates. Pilates is the class you take if you want to exercise your core and you become stronger through pilates practice and have a beautiful abs.

I also learnt how to swim in my twenties. Then I started swimming regularly in early thirties, especially breaststroke. I have naturally small hip compared to the rest of my body, (it's apple body type - voluptous but with slimmer hip). Swimming once a week 20 laps, helped me achieve more proportional body shape. My chin is slimmer and my hip wider, so as a result my body is now even much more proportional. Of course if you swim regularly, here is a couple of tips.

1. Swim outdoor if you can
Swimming indoor means better protection from sun, winds, and rain. You can always swim regardless of weather. That means no excuse to skip too. However, indoor pool is often saturated with chlorine which is harsh to your body and hair. Chemical from outdoor swimming pool has the chance to evaporate and oxidise with natural sun light. Plus, if you swim in the sea it is natural.

2. SPF protection is important
Protect your skin regardless of whether you swim in sea or in the pool. Always wear waterproof Sun Protection skin. For beach and outdoor sport, SPF 50 is the minimum recommended factor. Appy and reapply often and with enough coverage.

3. Shower or rinse before swimming
If you saturate your hair and skin with fresh water, your body has less chance of absorbing the chlorine water.

4. Wear swim cap
Protect your hair from regular soak of pool water. It is more hygiene too. Your hair might become brittle and dry from regular exposure to chlorine. You can apply oil or chlorine naturalizer too to help protect your hair underneath the cap.

5. Shower immediately after swim
Wash your face, body, and hair. Rinse with fresh water including your suit and googles. If your swim suit and googles can be damaged easily from regular use in the water, imagine the damage to your hair.




Seeing experiences with fresh eyes

Given my propensity to seek new experiences, I wanted to start a new series of article that explores experiences that are new, new to me, or...