09 December, 2012

First Tiramisu on Sunday rainy morning

Tried my first Tiramisu. Result - nice with right sweetness and right alchoholic contents. But I made the mistake of leaving the egg white for too long that it spoiled.


Equipments:
1 Whisk - for manual beating of eggwhite and mixing in the yolk.
A few large bowls. Must be dry and clean.
Filter - strainer for cocoa powder. This is to sieve through the clumps on the cocoa powder.
A glass or two for the coffee.

Ingredients:
1 cup of large Roasted coffee Spinelli's.Strong and black with 1-2 packs of brown sugar.
1 bag of lady's finger. Roughly a quarter bag would do (5-6 sticks)
3 eggs. Split the yolk and whites.
50-100 gr of sugar. You can use icing sugar (like me, a leftover from dessert experiment) or granulated sugar. I use half of USA amount as I do not want it to be oversweet.
1 cup of mascarpone cream. From any supermarket. I used half-of 200gr cup Polenghi.
Cocoa powder (unsweetened is preferred). I use Hershey's
Salt.
A small bottle of Grand Marnier (or any brandy liquer). I like this as it lends orange flavor and sweetness. so reduce your sugar.

A short trip to supermarket like Cold Storage can fetch you all the ingredients. Super easy. I live next to China square so I can grab a cup of morning coffee from Spinelli on the way.

Method:
1. Split your eggs and into two bowls.
2. Add sugar to the yolk and mix in until smooth. Be careful not to beat it too strong as it will attract bubbles. Then gently mix in the mascarpone.
3. Then start beating the eggwhite. Be careful not to let this stand, or it'll lose its fluffiness. I made this mistake =( .
4. Then fold in the eggwhite INTO the yolk. The resulting creamy mixture is ready! Not the otherway around as otherwise the eggwhite will lose its volume. This is my theory anyway ...

5. Then prepare the container for Tiramisu. Best is a nice see-through bowl.

6. Mix in the brandy at this stage to coffee according to your taste. Dip the lady finger to the cold,black,coffee. And immediately lay down the biscuit one by one. Be careful not to oversoak.

7. Then spread the creamy mixture over the biscuit. Top with a layer of cocoa powder, sieved through with filter.
8. Repeat the biscuit, cream, and cocoa powder layer.

9. The result set it in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. You will have a nice Tiramisu.

PS. The Jamie Olivier's version has a layer of dark chocolate over the lady fingers before laying down the cream. I think this is a great idea to protect the biscuit from being soggy. Watch the fun video of him and Gennaro at YouTube.

Reference video for a version with lightly cooked yolk except this version has whipped cream instead of egg white (more sinful).

Thanks for this video for teaching me the original recipe.




Seeing experiences with fresh eyes

Given my propensity to seek new experiences, I wanted to start a new series of article that explores experiences that are new, new to me, or...