20 January, 2008

Tg Balai Karimun

I'm just back from adventure. Visiting Tanjung Balai Karimun on Saturday and Sunday today. The experience was quite relax and laidback.

The journey starts about 11 am on Saturday. I took the Falcon ferry from Harbourfront centre, taking the trip at 1225. Alas, the ferry got slightly delayed. The process was pretty smooth. Buy ticket around 1.5 hours before at one of the ticket counter, proceed in, got your back screened, imigration procedure, and then waiting room until there's announcement about the gate. Interestingly, ppl seems to know which gate would open about 10 minutes before the announcement was boomed out of the PA system. So, I went along while keeping extra watch on my bag.



The ferry trip took about 1.5 hours, pretty fast according to my friend Devy. She's the one who took me around the whole time. First, something interesting and proven about indo bureaucracy and "uang kopi" I got asked 5 bucks just because I left the embarkation card at home. I'm sure I can manage to get through without paying, oh well, it's small money and smoothen the experience. Also, the broken toilet cost 1000 rupiah.

So after Devy fetched me at pelabuhan, we went checking in at Hotel Maximillan at jalan Nusantara. Riding on motorcycle, which I admit is novel experience, is pretty new for me.  After 1 day, I can be proud to say, I'm riding like a pro now (which means no longer holding real tight to the back of the motorcycle, and can get on one without much grabbing and holding). So the balai city is relatively compact. The main artery is made of Nusantara, and it's corresponding street (both one-way). The shop configuration is pretty much like small towns long Java pantura, or Malaysia link to P. Redang. It's quiet, the shop doesn't get much traffic and people chatted and seemed to enjoy town life, while more ambitious ones go to Jakarta, Batam or Singapore to look for more fortune.

The hotel is ok. Standard 3* hotel, though with many lack of utilities-- no toiletteries, the one available are 2 water glasses on vanity top.  It does have bathtub and a decent TV. After which, I went over to Devy's house. It's a very comfy 3 storey ruko. They have medicine store with acupunture practice. Devy showed me around the living room, big master bedroom, kitchen in 2nd floor, and her room, brother's room, 2 storage rooms, and balcony at 3rd floor.

It's too bad there's quota of electricity and the light often goes off according to Devy. (excuse from regional government is lack of electricity).

We went to have lunch at bakmi otong (or something like that). It's located a street turn from a big vihara where Devy's dad is the ketua yayasan. It's good ol' bakmi with very nice soup.

Then Devy brings me around the balai outskirt. It's suburb or daerah pedesaan, going over the hill. I must admit, sudden terror thought came over me because I'm riding pillion without helmet, and frankly, the riding overhill is quite scary. Fortunately, nothing bad happened, and I can much enjoy the experience without much fear (I decided to carry carefree attitude). First we went to Tebing area, greeneries of agrarian life greeted us, the typical kampung. Then the Poros street along a quant lake, where a few people went jogging (it's around 5+ WIB). We went through the big mosque, huge area allocated with new administrative offices-- including a Malay Balai Adat, and big stadium. Things seem prosperous here where main source of income is fishery, trading, and granite producer, and birdnest.
Next after passing city, we went to Meral side, which is quite dusty and the pure air filled with smoky texture, unfortunately due to farmers using old method of field burning to clear the field. After long ride, my butt is flat, and I'm ready for a bath.

After bath and relaxing, it's about 7+ we were unexpectedly hungry. Devy brought us to a Seafood place, called Ikan Panggang. It's located off Jln. A Yani where the new Shop and Save located. We ordered chili kangkong, ikan panggang, and chili crab. Oh, they are very good. The kangkong is fresh, crunchy, and with a dose of terasi chili. The fish and the crab was very fresh too! I really enjoyed the meal. And the whole meal was relatively cheap at 139,000 for 2, including 2 juice drinks (alpokat and orange), and 2 canned drinks. The alpokat was only 9 ribu ~~. Then we went to vcd shop to browse, and finally the shop and safe supermarket to bring some snacks. Hehe. We then stop over at Devy's house (don't forget to look for the souvenirs of small wine and bell for Devy's mom), before heading back to hotel for night's rest. I enjoyed watching the tv with chnnel news asia, 5, 8, ESPN and indo channels (RCTI, SCTV, Metro Tv, La Tivi, Trans) :)

Paginya I cannot wake up early. I woke up around 8 WIB, we went down for breakfast (nothing much), drank an indo coffee. Then split for morning bath (Devy went back home for shower), and at 10 I'm ready for checkout. We went to several supermarket, and check out the shoes (unfortunately nothing really caught my eyes), clothes (some batik, but I think cheaper in jakarta), and indo a yani (I bought conan 48).

We finished off with Es Teler 77 (es teler, soto, batagor, siomay ikan, dan otak2).

Then we go to pelabuhan around 1230 (my ferry is at 115). After filling up bebas fiskal form, I went in and complete the farewell process.

Said goodbye to Devy. She's been the companion throughout the trip, and we chatted a lot. I really miss having a good friend to chat to. She's dependable, but I can see she should start thinking about herself, her career, social life, and future. Not that I am faring much better with work and OT, but the worry is there's so much less opportunity to meet new guys to be friends with. Hope she thought about it well and all the best for her business opp in Balai and Batam.

Seeing experiences with fresh eyes

Given my propensity to seek new experiences, I wanted to start a new series of article that explores experiences that are new, new to me, or...